Tuesday, February 12, 2019

Decayed: Ataque Infernal (2000)

I mentioned in yesterday's post that I would be covering my favorite Portuguese black metal band today.  Well, here it is.  I do not know a lot about Portuguese black metal, but it would appear that Decayed is one of the longest tenured, if not the very first such band.  Their first release was way back in 1990.

This is now the fifth release I have picked up by Decayed, and it is one of the earlier ones.  Their sound has always been incredibly raw and hateful, but it was particularly so on this one.  This is not a full-length album, it is essentially two small releases put together.  The first side is mostly new material, consisting of an intro, two short barn-burners and a longer track.  The second side is a collection of covers of clear influences for the band.  There are songs here originally released by Kreator, Violent Force, Bathory and Sodom. 

Decayed is a black metal band whose sound much more resembles a cross between early German thrash metal in the vein of the aforementioned Sodom and Kreator, Swedish black metal such as Marduk and Dark Funeral, and South American groups like Sarcofagó.  In other words, it is raw, ugly, relentless, hateful, crushing and evil.  There are not a lot of dynamic moments throughout the original material and it is over a little too quickly.  The covers are done quite well though. 

I do not want to give any sort of negative impression here, because I really do like it, as I do all of the stuff I have heard from the band to date.  It is simply that this is not a particularly essential release by the band (personally I prefer Into the Depths of Hell).  It is a nice short introduction of what to expect from the band.  Decayed has a massive discography and typically put out several releases a year, though they have slowed a bit lately.  Figuring out where to start is not an easy thing to do.  This is not a bad choice, but it would not be one of my recommendations. 

No comments:

Post a Comment