Monday, June 6, 2011

My 100 Favorite Metal Bands Pt. 52: Iced Earth

Iced Earth is the U.S.'s answer to Iron Maiden and Blind Guardian. The thrash/power metal band has been around for a long time and, up until recently, consistently put out great releases. The only real issue with the band is the revolving door behind the mic. Matt Barlow is the most recognizable voice for the band, but Ripper Owens and others have previously occupied the spot, which is now taken by Into Eternity's Stu Block. Jon Schaeffer has always been the driving force behind the band though, and his distinctive galloping Maiden-esque riff is so identifiable that anyone can instantly recognize an Iced Earth song.

FAVORITE ALBUM: SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES

1 comment:

  1. I love that album. I think I talked about it in the My Metal History series on my blog. It was a blind buy that I wasn't sure what to make of at the time, but came back to it a few years later and loved it.

    It's too bad about their last two albums though. A couple of overblown concept pieces that were crushed under their own weight.

    ReplyDelete