Friday, July 31, 2009

Another Day, Another List

It's apparently list week over at the Metallattorney ranch. This one comes from Noise Creep who gives us a list of the best new thrash metal bands. Now, me being a bit of an aficionado for thrash metal, I could not resist taking a look at this list. It's actually one that I will have some positive things to say about (for once). I'm not really sure if this is in any kind of order or not, so we'll just cover each band. So, here we go:

http://www.noisecreep.com/2009/07/29/top-10-new-school-thrash-bands/

Municipal Waste:
Surprisingly, I'm not very familiar with this band. I have heard a couple of songs which sounded sort of crossover-ish. Since I am not a huge fan of crossover, I decided to pass. From what I know of the band, they're not real serious about their subject matter, most of it is meant to be humorous.

Violator:
This is a Brazillian thrash metal band attempting to pick up where Sepultura dropped the ball a long time ago. Admirable effort. I haven't heard much from these guys yet but will be keeping an eye out.

Warbringer:
I am a big fan of Warbringer. The young Californian band is attempting to revive the Bay Area scene from Southern Cal. Their name adequately sums up their sound: chaotic.

Merciless Death:
This is perhaps one of my favorites of the newer thrash scene. The band sings a lot about zombies and other horror movie topics. The music is fast, aggressive, and heavy. The band takes a lot of influence from the mighty Dark Angel.

Mantic Ritual:
This band sounds like a cross between early Metallica and early Testament. The sound is a bit cliched but the band is talented enough and comes up with some pretty good songs. The album is okay, just nothing special.

Ramming Speed:
I have honestly never heard of this band.

Blood Tsunami:
I am still looking for their album which is not easy to come by in the States. This band is made up of members of Norwegian black and death metal bands paying tribute to the German thrash scene of the 80's, one of my personal favorite scenes.

Toxic Holocaust:
I have covered TH a little bit in the past. Joel Grind's influences range from Venom, Sodom, Bathory, and Celtic Frost. That's quite a bit of classic thrash/black metal. The songs are short, but powerful. The album is a ton of fun. Another of my favorites.

Skeletonwitch:
Quite possibly my favorite of these groups. Skeletonwitch is similar to TH in it's influences producing a dirty-sounding blackened thrash sound with great guitar riffs. I am definitely looking forward to their new album.

Corrupt:
Another band I have never heard of, but if their Kreator influence is correct, I might have to check them out.

Notable acts listed: Ex Mortus, Cross Examination, SSS, Caustic Strike, Hellish Crossfire, Lethal, Eliminator, Lazarus A.D.

Okay, now some bands that did not make it in the article at all, but should have:
Dekapitator
Evile: Recorded the best Slayer album in the last 15 years.
Bonded by Blood
Gama Bomb
Trench Hell: Sounds like Celtic Frost on steroids.
Rumpelstiltskin Grinder
Lich King
Hyades

No comments:

Post a Comment