Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Rotting Christ: Κατά τον δαίμονα εαυτού (2013)

I really have no idea what I managed to cut and paste up there.  I am not even sure what language it is, but due to the fact that Rotting Christ is from Greece, I can take a wild stab in the dark.  I could look it up, but it's late as I am writing this and I just finished mowing the lawn.  My motivation to do anything is pretty low.  Someday I will, but not today.

Rotting Christ has been one of my favorite bands since I discovered them on Theogonia back in 2007.  This is the second full-length they have released since then and I have also picked up almost all of their past albums.  They have yet to disappoint me.

This one is a little different though.  There is not a lot sonically different from Rotting Christ's last couple of albums.  It is still the same gothic/black metal with symphonic elements.  But the songs feel less complete.  The best way I can think of to describe the music on this album is that it sounds as if it is the soundtrack to a Greek mythology-based movie.  Think Clash of the Titans or something of that ilk.  The hooks are not as present.  None of the songs really sink in like they have on past albums and they all sort of run together.

None of this is to suggest that this is a bad album.  It just is not quite what I was hoping for.  The music still has the same sinister quality that has been such an impressive element in the band's sound for so long.  Sakis Tolis's vocals still sound amazing after so many years.  If anything, this album makes some terrific background music.  It just does not rise to the same level as past releases.    

No comments:

Post a Comment