Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Initial Impressions: Exumer: Fire & Damnation


It's kind of bizarre how so many completely random bands have been reuniting and putting out new music.  This certainly is not anything completely unusual but when we are talking about a band that released two full-lengths and a couple of demos in the mid to late 1980's that were mostly forgotten, you kind of have to wonder how the decision to reunite really came about.  I mean, I have never heard anyone say they really miss Exumer.  Not to say some people didn't miss Exumer, I just have not known of anyone.

Exumer is a German thrash metal band from the 1980's, and that's all it really took to get me intrigued.  Their presence on Metal Blade, which is still a label I trust, also helped matters.  Exumer does deliver on that promise.  As is typical of German thrash metal, this is a neck-snapping maelstrom of an album with lots of riffs and lots of aggression.  It kicks off with a bang and the frenzy never lets up.

The only real problem I have with the album is that there is a lack of variety.  The band never lets up on the accelerator.  That is not a major problem, after all this is a thrash metal band we are talking about.  It is not as if that is unusual.  Fans of the genre expect it.

I have not checked out Exumer's prior material, but something tells me it is right up my alley as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment