Saturday, September 25, 2010

Compilations: Metal Maniacs Sept. 2008

Onward we march.

VOLBEAT: SAD MAN'S TONGUE
Kelly really likes this band. This song is a little too Elvis-like for my taste at the beginning. I understand the band is going for a metal-meets-1950's rock vibe here, but it's a little too weird for me. Maybe with repeated listens I could get into it. Not now though.

ASCEND: AMPLE FIRE WITHIN
This is more of an ambient/black metal track. It's eerie and uncomfortable, but there's nothing really here to grab the attention. Pass.

MOTORHEAD: ROCK OUT
Good old Motorhead. This band has not changed much at all since they formed in the 1970's. This is another, good old-fashioned metal beatdown. If you've heard anything by Motorhead at all, you know what to expect here. But, that's the band's charm.

CESSATION OF LIFE: NECROPOLIS
Kind of a thrash/crossover-sounding band. I have not heard of this band before. They are not too bad, probably a very amateur band. Nice guitar tone.

UNLEASHED: BLACK HORIZON
The Editor's Pick this month. Unleashed is like Motorhead in that they have changed very little over the course of their careers. Unlike Motorhead, they play Swedish death metal with Viking-inspired lyrics. I enjoy this band and own this album. Nothing much more to say than that.

SATAN'S HOST: THRONE OF BAPHOMET
I'm planning a post on Satan's Host as they are truly an enigma. This is one of their more groove-oriented tracks, but it still has thrash metal riffs running through it. The band is more concerned with creating an atmosphere on this track. It's not one of my favorite Satan's Host songs, but even the band's mediocre songs are interesting.

STONECREEP: KISS OF THE NORTHERN SKY
This is metalcore with some melodeath influences and heavy use of clean vocals. Nothing new.

THE WAKING: SORRY
I'm pretty sure this was on last week's compilation. I don't think I liked it then, why the hell would I like it now?

VII ARCANO: BLOODLUST DEFICIT
This is pretty competent death metal with thrash influences. I kind of like it. Much better than the last two pieces of crap.

YOUNG WIDOWS: OLD SKIN
Stoner/doom. This is pretty decent, I do tend to like a good stoner/doom song. I'm not sure what to think about a bunch of guys naming their band "Young Widows" though. Baroness has always confused me as well though.

HARKONIN: LOST CAUSE
More competent, amateur death metal. The rumbling riffs are pretty good, but it's tough to hear what's actually going on musically. There's an occasional technical guitar shred in here as well.

AGAINST THE PLAGUES: WAR AGAINST THE PLAGUES
And to finish things off, we have symphonic blackened death? It's okay, but this should have better production to really catch listeners' attentions.

1 comment:

  1. For Volbeat, "Sad Man's Tongue" is definitely not one of my favorite tracks. I would suggest looking up, first of all, "Pool of Booze, Booze, Booza", and then "Mr. and Mrs. Ness" or "River Queen" on Youtube. If those don't get you hooked, then maybe it's just not for you.

    ReplyDelete