Thursday, May 26, 2011

My Favorite Metal Band from the United States

We have reached the final post in this series. And we close things out with what is probably a bit of a surprise. Yes, I prefer Megadeth over Metallica. I believe that the first four Metallica albums were amazing and probably as good a run as any band out there, but I am considering more than just those four albums. The larger discography Of Megadeth is superior to Metallica's. Megadeth has only released one bad album, compared to three by Metallica. Furthermore, Dave Mustaine was largely responsible for a lot of the best songs recorded by Metallica on their first four albums anyway. One other reason for my preference for Megadeth over Metallica is that Megadeth is better right now. If I had to choose between a new Megadeth album and new Metallica album, I would take the Megadeth album. Endgame was better than Death Magnetic to my ears.

NOTABLE SCENES: Everything.

HONORABLE MENTIONS:
Too many to name, Metallica gets second billing.

3 comments:

  1. I've never been all that into Megadeth myself. There are certainly great moments, but the thing that gets to me is Mustaine's inability to realize when he sounds silly. I think I've mentioned that before. In fact, here it is. He does write some great riffs and solos, though. If he found a more credible frontman for his band and stuck to writing the music, that would be something really awesome.

    Now, for my pick, I would go with either Metallica or Death. Maybe Death. I was writing about Death and realized that Human through The Sound of Perseverance is a four-album run that's right up there with Metallica's and Sabbath's first albums.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, that is interesting. It's quite unusual for a band's best run to occur late in their career. Obviously Death did not have the same sort of career arch as other bands due to Chuck's untimely death, but you still typically see the best material early.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That thought also occurred to me. Enslaved is another example of late-career greatness. I think it's more likely to happen with bands that go in a more progressive direction, as they're writing music that's got more to do with intelligence, experience, skill, and planning rather than gut and energy.

    ReplyDelete