Saturday, May 21, 2011

My 100 Favorite Metal Bands Pt. 37: Dissection

As I mentioned yesterday in my post on Sweden, Dissection played a major part in introducing me to international extreme metal. In particular, Dissection was one of the first bands with black metal in their sound that I ever listened to. And I owe it all to picking up the album simply based on the cover art for Storm of the Light's Bane. The first time I heard this album, I was not sure what to think. It was the most extreme thing I had ever heard at that point. It took a little while for everything to really sink in, but once it did, I was amazed by it. Specifically the cold atmosphere and the insane drumming. I picked up the band's previous album as well and then waited patiently for vocalist Jon Nodtveidt to be released from prison and then got their last album. Dissection was instrumental in bringing me into black metal, and Storm is still in my Top 5 albums of all time.

FAVORITE ALBUM: STORM OF THE LIGHT'S BANE

1 comment:

  1. My best friend bought this album for that same reason. I guess sometimes you CAN judge a book (or CD) by its cover...

    Seriously though, cool album and some of the best cover art ever.

    ReplyDelete