Sunday, May 8, 2011

My Favorite Metal Band from Norway

Admittedly, Norway was very difficult. I kind of knew it would be. As much as I like the black metal scene in Norway, I have never really considered what my favorite band from the scene would be. So when I finally set to it, I was not sure what the answer would be.

I guess I picked Immortal due mostly to the fact that they are more of a raw thrash metal band similar to the early black metal bands such as Bathory and Venom. Their fast riffs and dark atmosphere was truly unique from the other bands in the scene. All of their albums have been exceptional, as opposed again to some of the other bands from the scene. Immortal disappeared for awhile but came back strong in 2009. Quite simply, everything the band has done has been great.

NOTABLE SCENES: Second wave black metal, duh.

HONORABLE MENTIONS:
1349
Blood Tsunami
Burzum
Darkthrone
Dimmu Borgir
Emperor
Enslaved
Gorgoroth
Ihsahn
Khold
Mayhem
Nocturnal Breed
Satyricon
Syrach
Tristania
Vreid

2 comments:

  1. Norway is indeed a tough country, but Immortal are an awesome band.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was very tempted to go with Emperor or Enslaved up until the last moment. That's when I shifted gears and went with Immortal instead.

    ReplyDelete