Monday, April 22, 2019

Vanik: II - Dark Season (2018)

I still like to check albums out on occasion without knowing much about the band.  I have discovered some great albums that way.  I have also had a few real big disappointments.  But more often than not, I find a band that I enjoy that I may not have gotten a chance to check out otherwise.  And so it was with Vanik.  I picked up the album based on the intriguing cover art.  I was expecting something maybe like Acid Witch, another such band that I checked out based on strong cover art, and absolutely loved.

Featuring a number of metal veterans, including Shaun Vanek, for whom the band is named, Vanik is a traditional heavy/speed metal band, which I did not expect.  They do have a fair amount of punk influence that shines through in the vocal style and some of the stuttering riffs.  The songs are generally very fast-paced with catchy hooks and choruses and an infectious groove.  It is very clear that the band is having a blast playing these songs.  Some of the songs do come across a little darker than others, such as the foreboding "Witch Rites", with it's incredibly creepy vibe.

One thing I was correct about that the band shares with Acid Witch is their penchant for horror themes.  This comes through well with song titles like "Jack's Lantern", "Beyond the Closet Door" and "Tear You to Pieces".  The best example though is the anthemic "We Like to be Frightened", which attempts to explain our fascination with horror movies and stories.  It's also just damn true. 

This album is a lot of fun.  It would be a great album to put on around Halloween.  And to think, I likely would not have had an opportunity to check them out had it not been for taking a chance on them due to the album cover.   

No comments:

Post a Comment