Friday, April 19, 2019

Uada, Wormwitch and Cloak in Omaha: April 16, 2019

On Tuesday night, I decided to head to the Slowdown in order to catch an underground black metal concert.  I'm not sure how Omaha managed to get such a lineup, but I'm not complaining.  I just discovered Uada earlier this year, after missing out on a couple of albums.  I saw Wormwitch opening a concert with The Black Dahlia Murder as the headliner.  Cloak was completely new to me.  Well, cheap ticket prices and the opportunity to see the kind of bands that I rarely get to see drew me in.  And I'm damn glad I went.

Cloak was the opener and they were massively impressive.  They play a kind of blackened heavy metal/rock music.  They are extremely catchy with great hooks and rollicking riffs.  They played a few songs, primarily off of their 2017 album, which I picked up at the show.  They were definitely one of the more impressive bands I have discovered live.

Wormwitch was next and they impressed me yet again.  I never got around to picking up an album after seeing them for the first time two years ago.  I was not going to make that mistake again, because their ferocious brand of black metal/punk was utterly devastating. 

And last came Uada.  Even though there was a band called Cloak on the bill, Uada was the only band who actually took the stage wearing cloaks.  They also used the hell out of a fog machine and had bright lights on the stage.  The effect of all of this was that the band looked like shadows playing on the stage.  They were terrific, pulling songs from each of their terrific albums.  I was slightly concerned going in that they would not play "Mirrors", my favorite track from last year's Cult of a Dying Sun, but they played it very close to the end. 

This was one of the best concerts I have been to in quite awhile.  I was initially unsure of attending, but am damn glad I did.  All three groups were terrific, and I picked up albums from each of them from the merch tables as a result.  Amazing concert.

No comments:

Post a Comment