Friday, April 12, 2019

Arsis: Visitant (2018)

Melodic death metal is primarily thought of as a European style of metal.  It of course arose primarily out of Sweden with bands like At the Gates, Dark Tranquillity, In Flames, Soilwork and others.  It has recently taken hold in Finland with groups like Omnium Gatherum, Mors Principium Est and Insomnium.  The U.S. by and large has not produced a ton of great melodic death metal bands, but Arsis has always been one of better examples. 

I have been a big fan of Arsis since United in Regret.  I missed out on their last album and have not heard them since Starve for the Devil, frontman James Malone's therapeutic album about his struggle with anorexia, was released in 2010.  Malone dealt with some other issues at one point as well and I honestly did not know Arsis was still around at all.  So I was pleasantly surprised when I saw this album released.

Arsis has always been a fairly technical and progressive band, with a strong influence from latter-era Death, both in the vocal delivery and in the constantly-evolving riffwork.  That propensity shines through here with each song delivering riffs galore and Malone's tortured shrieking.  This is an album that must really be listened to closely and with headphones on.  There is so much going on in it that it is difficult to pick up on without focus.  The first couple of times I heard it, I did not listen to it properly and the album did not really do much for me.  Upon hearing it with headphones though, it grabbed my attention and refused to let go.

The lyrical theme this time around deals with horror stories, which is not overly original.  However, Malone's biggest strength is his shockingly good lyrics.  He is a master storyteller and his songs are damn near poetic.  Look at the opening lines to "Death Vow":

To watch and wait in whispers
Within the scald of blisters.
Once interned in the dust below
The vengeful one has risen, cold.


I am not sure yet where this album falls among Arsis's albums I have heard.  The way that it has been growing on me, it is entirely possible it may turn out to be my favorite.  Only time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment