Saturday, April 6, 2019

Mgła: Mdłości + Further Down the Nest (2007)

I feel like I have been really negative this week.  I'm not really sure why that is.  Time to change that.

Just a short post today, because it is a very short release.  That name is pronounced "Mgwah" apparently.  Mgła is one of those great Polish black metal bands I talked about briefly a couple weeks back.  Honestly, I ordered the wrong release here.  I meant to pick up the band's 2015 album Exercises in Futility, which was a massively hyped album and finished high on a lot of top albums lists.  But, I mistakenly grabbed this 2007 compilation.  No matter though because fuck, this is fantastic.

As stated, this release is a compilation.  On one side of the album is the band's two-song 2006 EP Mdłości.  On the other side is the 2007 EP Further Down the Nest.  I cannot pick between the two of them which one is better, they complement each other so well that it is easy to believe that they were intended to be packaged together.  Both are terrific examples of melodic-leaning black metal.  The production is terrific, capturing every riff, scathing lead, and tortured howl.  The band's sound calls to mind Scandinavian masters like Mayhem at their most vital.  But Mgła is its own creation.  They take a fresh spin on old ideas.

My only complaint about this album is that it is too short.  With just four songs and just over 20 minutes in length, it is over so quick.  I desperately want to hear more.  This is true black metal at its strongest.  I am definitely going to find as much as I can from Mgła.

No comments:

Post a Comment