Friday, April 16, 2010

Initial Impressions: Woe of Tyrants: Threnody

I traded in some old music that I don't listen to anymore and picked up this one. This band played at the concert on Monday, although we were too late to hear them. I had heard of the band before, but had never actually checked out their music. I had some idea of what to expect, but apparently was wrong.

You see, I thought because of their placement on this concert on Monday night, that this band would be another retro thrash metal band. I was actually surprised that they are not. There are thrash elements sure, but there are also death metal and progressive elements here. It's essentially thrash metal-inspired progressive death. Take from that what you will.

The music is fast, aggressive, and in general very brutal. Thrash riffs tend to open the songs leading into some very deep guttural vocals. The drumming mostly consists of blastbeats, with the occasional fill. The guitar solos and leads are probably the most interesting aspect of the music. Some of the songs are definitely barn-burners. Fast-paced and energetic, these are typically the best songs on the album. Woe of Tyrants is best when they are blazing full speed through a song.

This band has been lumped in as a Christian metal band. I have not spent a ton of time analyzing the lyrics, but at first blush, I'm not sure that tag is warranted. They may be Christians who play metal, but it does not appear as if they have a real message. Religion is a lyrical theme, but that does not mean that they are preaching or anything of the sort.

I have listened to this album twice now, and have come around to it. I didn't care much for it the first time, perhaps because the progressive elements took me by surprise. But, this is a pretty good release from a young, growing band. We'll see what their future holds.

No comments:

Post a Comment