Saturday, March 21, 2020

Synteleia: Ending of the Unknown Path (2019)

Spoiler alert, this album was on my Top 10 Albums list, in particular, the number eight spot.  So yes, I love this album. 

From the legendary city of Athens, Greece, Synteleia is a new band who released their debut album in 2019 after previously only having a demo to their name.  Most of the members appear to be in their first band, so this is a truly new group.  That being said, they sound like they have been doing this for thirty years.  Particularly since the sound Synteleia opts for is one that emerged in the early 1990's.

Synteleia's sound is rooted in the early days of the Hellenic black metal sound.  Think early Varathron, Kawir and slightly less early Rotting Christ (they were more of a grind band on their first few demos after all).  The sound is something of a mixture of that sound and melodic death metal with a lot of atmosphere to go with the crushing riffs.  Yet Synteleia's sound does not sound forced, as if the band were trying to dwell on the past.  They put their own spin and melody over the source material, making this album sound fresh and new.  No easy feat for a sound that has been expanded on so much by the aforementioned bands for so long.

There is not much more to say about this release.  I talked about it briefly in my Top Albums post (this is how far behind I am on getting reviews out).  I love this sound and I love this album.  It made my Top 10 easily.

No comments:

Post a Comment