Monday, June 3, 2019

Dissecting a Loudwire List: 10 Best Thrash Metal Albums NOT Released by the Big 4

I often find myself watching Loudwire lists.  I don't often discover something new, but they can be mindlessly entertaining.  And sometimes, I disagree strongly with things (I have a lot of issues every time they do a best new bands list).  That brings us to this list.  I am a huge thrash metal fan.  As such, I feel qualified to examine this list and see if I have any problems with it.


Now, I am not going to quibble too much with the placement of the individual bands, arguing that one band should be higher than another.  There might be a couple of notes on band placement as I go along.  What I really want to do is examine the albums selected by each band.  Are they really the best releases representing each band?

10.  Voivod: Killing Technology
Well, let's kick things off, shall we?  I am kind of surprised to see Voivod on this list at all.  Not because they don't really deserve to be, but because Voivod is mostly known for their sound after they moved away from thrash metal.  Only their first four albums can really be called thrash, and the first one has significant punk sound to it.  I personally prefer Dimension Hatröss but I can't argue with this selection.  The two are kind of a toss-up really.

9.  Sodom: Persecution Mania
Here is my first major quibble.  I like Persecution Mania, I really do, but it is not even close to my favorite album by Sodom.  Agent Orange would have been my pick.  I could listen to that album every day.  I still think that the thrash break at the end of "Tired and Red" is one of the greatest riffs in thrash metal history.  In fact, that album may just be my favorite release by any German thrash metal band.  Therefore, I would have it a lot higher than #9.

8.  Suicidal Tendencies: Lights...Camera...Revolution!
This is probably the best album by Suicidal Tendencies, but my problem here is that I don't really think ST should be on this list at all.  The issue is that the band is not a true thrash metal band, being much more of a crossover group.  There are several bands not present on this list that would have been better inclusions, such as Destruction, Forbidden, Death Angel, and others.

7.  Nuclear Assault: Handle with Care
No arguments.  100% agree.  "Critical Mass" is an amazing song.

6.  Dark Angel: Darkness Descends
They fixed it.  In an earlier incarnation, they had Leave Scars listed, which is a damn fine album, but this one is Dark Angel's best.

5.  Overkill: The Years of Decay
Picking just one great Overkill album is a monumental task.  I have said it before and I will say it again: Overkill is the most consistently great thrash metal band ever.  So, it is hard to argue with this choice, and in fact, I chose it as my favorite Overkill album when I did my Top 100 bands list.  Horrorscope, Under the Influence, and Taking Over would also have worked.  I would probably put Overkill #2 or #3 on this list personally.

4.  Kreator: Pleasure to Kill
I go back and forth on this one.  I love this album and it is a terrific example of raw, brutal thrash metal.  But I think Kreator really refined their sound later on and albums like Extreme Aggression and Coma of Souls are really damn hard to pass up on a list like.  I would probably ultimately lean toward Coma of Souls.

3.  Testament: The Legacy
Testament is my favorite band.  I love almost every album by the band (Demonic being the only real exception).  I would probably agree that this is the album that deserves most to be on this list, even though it is not my absolute favorite.  The New Order is also in consideration. 

2.  Sepultura: Beneath the Remains
I talked about Sepultura a couple of weeks ago.  A few years ago I would have 100% agreed with this album being on the list.  But recently I have been hooked on Arise.  I love "Inner Self" off of this album, but Arise has equally great tracks like "Dead Embryonic Cells", the title track and "Infected Voice".  I am beginning to come around on it being Sepultura's best album.

1.  Exodus: Bonded by Blood
No contest here and honestly, this may be one of the best thrash metal albums period.  This is a thrash metal masterpiece.

So I don't have any major problems with anything on this list, other than I probably would not have Suicidal Tendencies on it.  If I was doing this list, I would not be able to limit it to 10.  There are so many great thrash metal albums that I would have to give some attention to.  And so, here are some thrash metal albums that I would have to consider:

Deströyer 666: Cold Steel...For an Iron Age
Sabbat: Dreamweaver
Onslaught: The Force
Death Angel: The Ultra-Violence
Vio-lence: Eternal Nightmare
Destruction: Eternal Devastation
Holy Moses: Finished with the Dogs
Nocturnal Breed: Fields of Rot
Morbid Saint: Spectrum of Death

No comments:

Post a Comment