Monday, April 6, 2020

Infant Annihilator: The Battle of Yaldabaoth (2019)

What is the line from the old Smuckers commercials?  "With a name like Smuckers, it has to be good", I think?  Well, with a name like Infant Annihilator...never mind.  I'm not totally sure that is at all true. 

Infant Annihilator has been around for a few years now playing some form of technical deathcore mixed with a little bit of slam.  And with a name like Infant Annihilator, subtlety is definitely not the name of the game.  Neither is good taste apparently.  The band has a bit of a twisted sense of humor with albums like The Palpable Leprosy of Pollution featuring songs all about pedophilia.  Yeah.  Not exactly the kind of subject matter to endear yourself to a large crowd.  Obviously the band was taking the stance of being as extreme as possible, and they certainly made a name for themselves, but it was awful. 

This album was billed as something of a more mature, more musically-proficient release, even if some of the lyrics do not show any of that maturity.  I decided to give it a shot.  Just to see what the band was all about.  I will give them credit for being extremely technically impressive.  The album is filled with complex drum patterns, noodling guitar leads, ground-shaking bass drops.  Much of it sounds like it could not possibly be played by a real human being, particularly the speed of the hyper blast beating drums, and there is probably a reason for that.  But rather than being just pure technical wankery, the songs are built around riffs, some of which almost come close to straightforward death metal at times.  Just try and parse that sentence.  The vocals are delivered in a variety of styles, from shrieking wails to deep, guttural roars. 

I do have a complaint about it though.  The album is quite long, at a little under an hour.  Most of the songs are not overly long, with only a handful over five minutes.  There are just a lot of them.  The lyrics are rather juvenile as well, but the nice thing is that with the unintelligible vocals, you can't tell what the fuck is being said anyway.  Particularly with songs like "Feast ov Goreglutton" which is just absurdly graphic and disturbing.  Come to think of it, I am not sure how anyone comes up with something like this, much less puts it in a song.

Honestly, I enjoyed this album a lot more than I thought I would.  Neither technical death metal nor deathcore are genres that attract my attention and I was a little reluctant to check this out.  I am not saying this will be an album I listen to frequently, and I really have to be in the mood to take this kind of a pummeling aural punishment, but I definitely enjoy it when I am listening to it.  Which is a nice surprise.

No comments:

Post a Comment