Thursday, January 23, 2020

Witch Vomit: Buried Deep in a Bottomless Grave (2019)

I have mentioned a few times how great the year 2019 was for death metal.  A lot of great death metal albums were released, and of course a death metal album took my top spot for the year.  There were a lot of albums that I loved that just missed the cut too.  This was one of those albums.

Witch Vomit is yet another one of those terrific Portland, Oregon bands.  Man, I need to move to Portland.  They started out as a two-piece project but quickly became a full band.  I previously had heard their 2017 EP Poisoned Blood, which I absolutely loved.

This album is a very fast and filthy album at less than half an hour in length, but Witch Vomit packs a lot of grimy, disgusting riffs into that half hour.  This is true filth-ridden, nasty death metal at its most viscous and rotten.  With churning riffs and sepulchral vocals, there is absolutely nothing pretty on display here.  And I absolutely love the sample from John Carpenter's Prince of Darkness, an underrated horror masterpiece that fits in perfectly with this album.

Witch Vomit narrowly missed my Top 10 in 2019, but with another album like this one soon, they could easily make it in.  I loved this release.

No comments:

Post a Comment