Thursday, January 2, 2020

Top 5 EPs/Demos/Splits of 2019

I am going to get these lists out earlier than normal.  I am starting off with the Top Five non-full-length albums.  These are either demos, EPs or splits.  I did not hear a ton of these this year, but there were more than enough to come up with a Top Five.  Some of these have yet to appear in review form, but will appear later.


EFFIGY: MCMXCII: DARKEST DAY
Initially forming in 1992, Effigy recently reunited and finally released their first recorded material in 2019.  I guess good things do come to those who wait because this thing is fantastic.  The band does an excellent job at sounding like early 90's death metal greats like Death, primarily because they were around at the same time.  If you enjoy bands like Death, this is for you.

AGGRAVATED NUISANCE: DEADLY FORCES
With Power Trip and Municipal Waste being able to recapture the sound of 1980's crossover/thrash metal, there are bound to be at least a few bands hopping on that sound.  Aggravated Nuisance is one such band.  In a very short time, Aggravated Nuisance makes a damn good first impression.  If crossover is to make a comeback, it needs groups like this to pave the way.

MUNICIPAL WASTE: THE LAST RAGER
Well, the masters in the renewed crossover sound make an appearance here as well.  I have only recently gotten into Municipal Waste, but have enjoyed everything I have heard so far and this EP is no exception.  It is a very short release, but captures everything that the band have come to be known for, fast-paced, furious riffs and shouted vocals.  Municipal Waste has built a lengthy career and this EP shows why.

FETID ZOMBIE: DEATH COVENANT
Of course Fetid Zombie is going to make it on this list somewhere.  I have become a giant fan of artist Mark Riddick's retro death metal project since the first time I heard them and have made getting as much of their stuff as possible a priority.  This one is a four-track EP that features guest guitar solos from Malcolm Pugh (Inferi), James Malone (Arsis) and the legendary Michael Amott (Arch Enemy, Carcass).  Fetid Zombie always releases quality music and this is no exception.

MONARQUE: JUSQU'A LA MORT
Here it is, the best EP of 2019 as decided by me.  Monarque is a Canadian black metal band from Quebec that has been absent for some time but has come roaring back in 2019.  The album cover caught my eye, but the absolutely incredible music kept me coming back.  Atmospheric and powerful, this is a perfect example of why the Quebec black metal scene is one of the most underrated in the world right now.  This was the first release I had heard from Monarque, but I quickly picked up as many other releases as I could as soon as I heard this.  Simply incredible.  The full review is coming soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment