Thursday, March 28, 2013

Requiem for Oblivion: EP 2011

This one is a little bit outside my box as far as metal goes.  I typically listen to the more aggressive strains of metal, so this Pennsylvania-based project and their much more atmospheric style is probably not one that I would have sought out on my own.  However, I think there is enough going on musically that it is fairly impressive.

Requiem for Oblivion's sound is a very dramatic atmospheric one with crashing riffs breaking things up and adding a sense of danger and hostility to the mix.  There are elements of doom and death metal thrown in to spice things up a little bit.

The first track is a little more ethereal and dreamlike with nightmarish moments.  It reminds me very much of Decoryah.  There are ambient sounds and aggressive riffs together.  The second track is much more of a straightforward metal track with occasional softer moments.  Unfortunately I have not been able to listen to the third track due to recording issues, so I only have the first two to go on.

I was fairly impressed with this band.  I think they have some interesting ideas and would be interested to hear a full-length from them.

No comments:

Post a Comment