Thursday, March 7, 2013

Neferion: The Primordial Mode

Lately I have been getting some completely random promos sent to me from bands in Finland.  I have not been contacted beforehand and have only a vague idea of how these bands have my address.  I am not complaining, but it is kind of weird.

Anyway, Neferion is the first of these bands.  I had not heard of the band before receiving the promo in the mail, so this was my first exposure to them.  Their sound is kind of a groove/heavy metal and it rumbles along at a mid-tempo pace.  The music is competent and well-played but it does take a back seat to the real star of the band.

Meija Saari is one hell of a vocalist.  She really draws most of the attention with her incredible range and tone.  She can easily alternate between an absolutely breathtaking clean vocal style to much more of a death metal styled growl.  Her voice reminds me a lot of Benedictum vocalist Veronica Freeman.  That is definitely a compliment as she has one of the greatest, most underrated voices in all of metal.

This is a fairly short demo, with only four songs on it.  With the impressive vocals and the decent music, this increases the re-playability of the release.  I have listened to it four or five times in a row already today and it just does not get old.  This band should be signed soon.

1 comment:

  1. Cool review. I have not given out your address to anyone except the two or three you already know about, none of which are in Finland as far as I know.

    It's weird how you can start getting a lot of stuff from the same area, like how I got a whole bunch of stuff from Poland. I understand how it happens, but I think I'd prefer Finland.

    My wife was kind of freaked out when I started getting mail from Belgium and Israel, though.

    ReplyDelete