Friday, May 15, 2020

Denial of God: The Hallow Mass (2019)

Being a metal band from Denmark, I suppose it is only natural that there be a heavy Mercyful Fate/King Diamond influence in the music.  For some reason, Denial of God has been around since the early 1990's in some form or another, and yet this is just their third full-length album, and yes, the MF/KD influence is strong.

Most of the songs here are lengthy but they excel at crafting a distressing and eerie atmosphere.  This is coupled with songwriting reflecting horror thematic elements.  The result is a terrific album for Halloween or the soundtrack for a horror book.  I am finding it fits in well with the book I am currently reading.  The MF/KD influence is shown through the usage of classic metal elements shining through the black metal tremolo riffing. 

The album is surprisingly dynamic.  There are some truly heavy songs, but there are also some tracks that sound downright maudlin, such as the grotesque and disturbing but strangely heart-wrenching "Undead Hunger". 

I was very impressed with my first foray into Denial of God.  I will be checking out more of their material.

No comments:

Post a Comment