Thursday, February 20, 2020

Unleash the Archers: Apex (2017)

Canada has a long and rich tradition of terrific heavy metal.  And I am not referring simply to thrash metal bands like Sacrifice, Razor and Slaughter or to death metal bands like Cryptopsy and Kataklysm.  I am referring to heavy and speed metal bands like Exciter, Anvil, Thor and others.  Bands that wave the the traditional metal banner proudly.  Enter Unleash the Archers.

This album is my first experience checking out Unleash the Archers, despite the fact that I have been aware of them for several years.  I am not sure why I avoided them, possibly due to the name which called to mind some sort of metalcore band.  But as I listen to them, I realize the band whose name most closely resembles this band is fellow British Columbians 3 Inches of Blood.  The sound is pretty damn close too.  Now I realize that they were never really well-liked in the metal underground, but I fucking loved 3 Inches of Blood, so hearing Unleash the Archers on this album and hearing all of the similarities, the album really grabbed me.

The sound is absolutely epic, filled to the brim with lightning-fast riffs, infectious choruses and shredding, neoclassical solos.  The riffs have some bite to them, not at all like European-style power metal.  The vocals too deserve mention.  The band has one lead vocalist and her style is melodic, yet powerful, and it is accentuated by two of the musicians who provide harsh vocals.  The result of all of this is an aggressive, yet extremely melodic sound.

My understanding is that Unleash the Archers has not always been as impressive as they are on this release.  I do not know if I will check out any of their earlier material, but this album is terrific.  I am definitely glad I gave them a chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment