Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Initial Impressions: Voivod: Killing Technology

The title cut from this album is actually the first Voivod song I ever heard. I think. It's kind of hard to pin these things down sometimes. But it was a track on one of my favorite compilations I own, the Skullcrushers compilation which can be found here. I recall enjoying it quite a bit but I did not really pursue the band much, other than getting their then-new album Negatron. This is probably most likely due to the difficulty of finding Voivod albums in mid 1990's Nebraska.

This is the first of Voivod's albums to have more of a progressive tendency. The raw punk feel and aggressive nature is still present, and it is clear that this is still a very thrashy Voivod, but the song structures are much more complicated, the riffing style more diverse, and the vocals slightly less angry. The lyrics are also more geared towards science-fiction storytelling.

The atmosphere is very impressive. One gets the feel of an industrial juggernaut in outer space. Difficult to describe without sounding completely crazy.

This is undoubtedly one of my favorite albums from the band. It combines their aggressive thrash side with their later spacey prog side. It also has some of their best songs on it. An amazing album.

No comments:

Post a Comment