Thursday, July 8, 2010

Blind Buy Surprise Albums Pt. 15: Intruder: Psycho Savant

I have covered this album before, quite in depth. Essentially, this is a thrash metal band from the late 1980's and early 1990's when thrash was on the downswing of a spectacular period of activity. The band sounds like a cross between underrated Bay Area bands Death Angel and Heathen. They are a technical thrash metal band with a vocalist with a higher register vocal range. There are some great, cathcy songs on this album, but I have already covered that before.

What I want to talk about is how I came across this album. There is a shop here in Norfolk that is something of a novelty shop. They sell a bunch of random stuff and there is a tattoo parlor inside as well. They also have two walls of music, including CDs and cassettes. I don't think that the store gets new music in. It seems more likely that it somehow inherited this collection of music at one point and is still trying to rid itself of it.

I found the Intruder cassette in this store. Immediately upon looking at the cover, I could tell that this was a metal album. I picked it up without knowing anything about the band, I just knew the cover looked great. Am I ever glad I did that. This is a highly underrated thrash metal band from the genre's glory days. It's fun making discoveries like this.

1 comment:

  1. Ah, Skini's. I got a couple tattoos there, due solely to lack of competition rather than their not-so-great reputation.

    ReplyDelete